The German health insurance system is rather complicated. For information and an overview of the German health insurance system click here.
There are many private health insurance companies. If you are in Frankfurt for less than five years one of the following private health insurances might be advisable for you. If you need short-term health insurance for your initial period in Germany in order to apply for a visa the following options might also be suitable (Health insurance programms with unlimited coverage will be accepted by the Foreigners' Office!):
- Private health insurance: Care Concept AG: up to two years, can be booked on a daily basis. For more information see www.besucherversicherung.de
- Private health insurance for visiting scientists and researchers: Provisit Krankenversicherung: Contracts between two and 60 months.
- Private health insurance for visiting scientists and researchers: Mawista Krankenversicherung: Contracts between one and 60 months.
- Private health insurance for visiting scientists and researchers up to one year (contract on a daily basis for people up to 80 years of age): Reisecare.
- Private health insurance for visiting scientists and researchers: educare24: The XL package deal with private liability and accident insurance: up to 4 years max.
- Private health, liability and nursing care insurance for visiting scientists and researchers: HanseMerkur, up to 5 years max.
- Private health insurance for international students, PhD students and graduates that are looking for employment: https://www.vela.insure/
- Comparison of private health insurances for visiting scientists and researchers: covomo.com
Further information on health insurances is available at EURAXESS Germany.