Goethe Welcome Centre
- Application and Funding
- Doctorate at GU
- Events and Excursions
- Living in Frankfurt
- Links and Downloads
- FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions
- Emergency phone numbers
Once you have moved into your accommodation in Frankfurt and you are planing to stay more than 3 months in Germany, you must comply with the Registration Act and register in Frankfurt within two weeks. International academics, scientists and researchers are also required to register (link only available in German). The registration is done at the Residents' Registration Office (Bürgeramt) of the City of Frankfurt and is free-of-charge. You will require the following papers and documents to be able to register:
- lessor confirmation (please find download on the right side of this page)
- Proof of accommodation (e.g. rental contract)
- Proof of identity for all persons registering (ID card, passport)
- If you arrive with your spouse, bring your marriage certificate with you (with translation)
- If you have children that are coming with you, bring their birth certificates (with translation)
You should book an appointment online before going to the Bürgeramt. The GWC will be glad to assist you when registering with the Bürgeramt.
At the Bürgeramt you will receive a registration certificate, which you need, among other things, when applying for a residence permit or opening a bank account.
Please note: if you move accommodation during your stay, you must re-register with the Bürgeramt responsible for your new place of residence, i.e. you have to register your new address. When leaving Germany, you have to de-register at the Bürgeramt.
Foto: Rainer Sturm/pixelio.de