In addition to structured programs such as the ERASMUS program, there is the possibility to self-organize your semester abroad. Applications as a so-called freemover can be useful, for example, if your desired partner-university is not among the partner universities of the department or the university-wide exchange programs.

In this case, however, the application for studying abroad does not go through the Faculty of Social Sciences Department; instead, it goes directly to your desired host university. The Global Office of Goethe University has put together extensive information on financing options, experience reports, contacting the host university and many other important points under this link.

If you decide on a self-organized stay abroad, make sure that you apply to the host university on time. You should also clarify at an early stage how you will finance your stay, whether you will have to pay tuition fees and which visa or residence requirements you have to meet for studying in the respective country. You can find important information and tips in the DAAD brochure "Going abroad with a scholarship - explained step by step" (in German) on financing stays abroad with scholarships.

Under certain circumstances, you can get credits that you achieved during self-organized stays abroad recognized as part of your studies at Goethe University. In this case, the formal process for recognition is the same as for a stay organized by Goethe University or your respective department; you can find detailed information on this on our pages. Please note, seminars at universities not linked to your department through a partnership are often less compatible with the curricula of the department's degree programs. Recognition is therefore not guaranteed in every case; however, you can ensure it by prior recognition

Credits (top to bottom): Uwe Dettmar, Goethe-Universität Frankfurt.