Dr. Maria Paola Ferretti
Interim Professor – Political Theory and Philosophy
phone +49 (0) 69 / 798 - 36508
|Office hours: by appointment|
Maria Paola Ferretti specializes in political philosophy, with a particular interest in theories of justice, theories of public justification, the ethics of public policies, political corruption and risk governance. She has published articles in such journals as Social Philosophy & Policy, Journal of Applied Philosophy, Philosophy Compass and Philosophy Politics and Economics. She is the author of The Public Perspective. Public Justification and the Ethics of Beliefs (Rowman and Littlefield) and with E. Ceva of Political Corruption. The Internal Enemy of Public Institutions (Oxford University Press).
L’etica dell’anticorruzione (with E. Ceva), Roma, Carocci, (forthcoming 2024).
- Political Corruption. The Internal Enemy of Public Institutions (with E. Ceva). Oxford: Oxford University Press 2021.
- The Public Perspective. Public Justification and the Ethics of Belief. London: Rowman and Littlefield 2018.
- Public Justification and Pluralism, PhD Dissertation, The University of Manchester (United Kingdom), Ann Arbor: ProQuest Dissertations & Theses 2002.
- Toleration and Respect (with I. Carter), Special Issue of the Journal of Applied Philosophy 30:1 (2013).
- Rule-and-exemptions: The Politics of Difference within Liberalism, Special Issue of Res Publica 15:3 (2009).
- “La sfida della corruzione politica all’etica pubblica. Introduzione”, (with E.Ceva), Rivista Italiana di Filosofia Politica 4 (2023): 5-17.
- "The Interactive Wrong of Political Corruption: A Reply to Warren, Santoro, and Fabre”, (with E.Ceva), European Journal of Political Theory (2003). https://doi.org/10.1177/14748851231186700
- “The Right to Know and the Distribution of Knowledge”, Notizie di Politeia 39:149 (2023): 118-121.
- “The Open Texture of Public Institutional Action and Its Corruption: A Response to Destri, el-Wakil, and Heywood” (with E. Ceva). The Review of Politics (2023): 1-5. doi:10.1017/S0034670522001085
- "Introduction - Emanuela Ceva and Maria Paola Ferretti: Political Corruption: The Internal Enemy of Public Institutions” (with E. Ceva). The Review of Politics (2023): 1-2. doi:10.1017/S0034670522001048
- “Present Risks, Future Lives: Social Freedom and Environmental Sustainability Policies“, The Journal of Ethics (2023). Online First: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10892-022-09415-4
- “Fake News and the Responsibilities of Citizens”, Social Theory and Practice (2022), Online First: https://www.pdcnet.org/soctheorpract/withtent/soctheorpract_2022_0999_7_26_166
- "An Institutional Ethics of Office Accountability for Well-functioning Public Institutions" (with E. Ceva), Public Affairs Quarterly 35:4 (2021): 277–296.
- “Upholding Public Institutions in the Midst of Conflicts: The Threat of Political Corruption” (with E. Ceva), Ethics and Global Politics (2021). Online first: https://doi.org/10.1080/16544951.2021.1961379
- "Etica delle credenze e giustificazione pubblica. Una risposta a Bistagnino e Biale”, Notizie di Politeia 36:138 (2020): 131-134.
- “A Taxonomy of Institutional Corruption”, Social Philosophy and Policy, 35:2 (2019): 242-63.
- “Political Corruption, Individual Behavior and the Quality of Institutions” (with E. Ceva), Politics, Philosophy and Economics 17:2 (2018): 216-231.
- “La corruzione dei pubblici ufficiali: un male politico o un problema di etica personale?” (with E.Ceva), Notizie di Politeia 34:129 (2018): 35-49.
- “Political Corruption” (with E. Ceva), Philosophy Compass 12:12 (2017): 1-10.
- “Teaching and Leraning Guide to Political Corruption” (with E. Ceva), Philosophy Compass 12:12 (2017): 1-4.
- “Risk Imposition and Freedom”, Politics, Philosophy and Economics 15:3 (2016): 261-279
- “Liberal Democratic Institutions and the Damages of Political Corruption” (with. E. Ceva) The Ethics Forum 9:1 (2014): 126-145.
- “Pluralism Slippery Slopes and Democratic Public Discourse” (with E. Rossi), Theoria 60:137 (2013): 29-47.
- “Toleration and Respect. Introduction” (with I. Carter), Journal of Applied Philosophy 30:1 (2013): 191-194.
- “A Multirelational Account of Toleration” (with S. Laegaard), Journal of Applied Philosophy 30:1 (2013): 224-238.
- “Risk and Distributive Justice: The Case of Regulating New Technologies”, Science and Engineering Ethics 15:4 (2010): 501-515.
- “Exemptions for Whom? On the Relevant Focus of the Egalitarian Concern”, Res Publica 15:3 (2009): 269-287.
- “Rule-and-exemptions: The Politics of Difference within Liberalism. An Introduction” (with L. Stradnova), Res Publica 15:3 (2009): 213-217.
- “Usi e abusi del piano inclinato in circostanze di pluralismo: esempi dal dibattito sull’embriologia in Germania e Gran Bretagna” (with E. Rossi), Notizie di Politeia 95:3 (2009): 57-71
- “Accountability or ‘Good Decisions’? The Rival Goals of Civil Society Participation in International Governance” (with J. Steffek), Global Society 23:1 (2009): 37-57.
- “What do Civil Society Organisations Expect from Participation in Science? Lessons from Germany and Spain on the Issue of GMOs” (with V.Pavone), Science and Public Policy 36:4 (2009): 287-299.
- “Lay Public or Experts? E-participation in Authorisation for GMO Products in the European Union” (with M. Lener), Review of Policy Research 25:6 (2008): 507-525.
- “Le persone ragionevoli e le loro credenze”, Notizie di Politeia 87 (2007): 38-51.
- “Why Public Participation in Risk Regulation? The Case of Authorising GMO Products in the European Union”, Science as Culture 16:4 (2007): 377-393.
- “More Politics, Stronger Consumers? The New Division of Responsibility for Food in the European Union” (with F. Bergeaud), Appetite 47:2 (2006): 134-142.
- “Food System and the Slow Pace of Institutional Change in Italy (with P. Magaudda), Appetite 47: 2 (2006): 161-169.
- “Interpreting Anti-corruption within a Public Ethics of Accountability”, Public Administration Review (with E.Ceva), 2018, https://www.publicadministrationreview.com/corruption-a-blog-symposium/
- “Responsibility and Fake News in the Time of Social Media”, Colloquium, August 2018 https://medium.com/colloquium/responsibility-and-fake-news-in-the-time-of-social-media-340f555c1d0e
- “The Ethics of Anticorruption Policies” (with E. Ceva), in A. Lever and A. Poama (eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Ethics and Public Policy, London: Routledge (2018), 255-266.
- Review of Gaus, Gerald: The Tyranny of the Ideal. Justice in a Diverse Society, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2016, Neue Politische Literatur, 63:1 (2018): 221.
- “194 e obiezione: è vera coscienza?” (with E. Ceva), Il Mulino 3:14 (2014): 390-398.
- “Review of Vittorio Bufacchi, Social Injustice. Essays in Political Theory, Palgrave 2012”, International Review of Sociology 22:3 (2012): 584-586.
- “Corporatism and ‘New Groups’. Emerging Value Conflicts in Contemporary Germany” (with C.Moulin-Doos), in G. Calder and E. Ceva (eds.) Diversity in Europe: Dilemmas of Differential Treatment in Theory and Practice, London: Routledge (2011): 140-156.
- “Participatory Strategies in the Regulation of GMO Products in the EU”, in J. Steffek et al. (eds.) Civil Society Participation in International and European Governance: A Cure for Its Democratic Deficit?, Houndmills: Palgrave Macmillan (2008): 166-184.
- “Pluralism” in A.C. Grayling and A. Pyle (eds.) The Encyclopedia of British Philosophy, London: Thoemmes (2006): 2528-2530.
- “La ragione al supermercato. Cibo, rischio e razionalità delle scelte quotidiane”, Diogene 1:1, 2005: 8-11.
- “Tre modi di intendere le differenze culturali”, in C. Del Bo and M. Ricciardi (eds.) Pluralismo e libertà fondamentali, Milan: Giuffrè (2004): 5-30.
- “Libertà fondamentali e pluralismo. Una bibliografia annotate”, in C. Del Bò and M. Ricciardi (eds.) Pluralismo e libertà fondamentali, Milan: Giuffrè (2004): 197-208.
- “Fra le ragioni pubbliche e le ragioni private”, in E. Bardone und E. Rossi (eds.) Valori e contesti, Rome: Ibis (2004): 105-126.
- “La libertà come primo valore: continuità o discontinuità?”, in F. Sciacca (ed.) Le libertà fondamentali in John Rawls. Con un saggio di Robert Alexy, Milan: Giuffrè (2002): 75-89.
- Review of Nicholas Wolterstorff, John Locke and the Ethics of Belief, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1996, in Bollettino di Filosofia Politica (2001). http://bfp.sp.unipi.it/rec/wolter.htm
- Review of Gerald F. Gaus, Justificatory Liberalism. Essay on Epistemology and Political Theory, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1995, in Bollettino di Filosofia Politica (2000). http://bfp.sp.unipi.it/rec/gaus.htm
- “Respecting Cultural Differences: When and How?”, The IHS Review13:2 (2001): 1-3
- “L'idealismo liberale di T.H. Green”, Notizie di Politeia 53 (1999): 67-76
- Review of John Gray, Isaiah Berlin, London: Harper Collins (1995), Notizie di Politeia 37-8 (1995).