Dr. Christian Czymara
Room 3.G 152
By arrangement via e-mail.
- Since May 2018: Postdoc and lecturer at the department methods of empirical social research at the the Goethe University Frankfurt am Main
- December 2018: Doctorate in Social Sciences at the University of Cologne (Dr. rer. Pol., summa cum laude)
- February to March 2018: Research stay at Radboud University Nijmegen, Netherlands
- 2015-2018: Fellow at the Graduate School in management, economics and social sciences at the University of Cologne
- 2016-2018: Research assistant at the chair of Empirical Social and Economic Research at the Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, University of Cologne
- August 2015: M. Sc. in Sociology and Empirical Social Research at the University of Cologne
- June to August 2014: Research stay at the Max Planck Institute for social studies
- 2013-2015: Student assistant at GESIS - Leibniz Institute for Social Sciences at the Department of Computational Social Science
- June 2012: B. A. in Sociology at the University of Mannheim
- 2010-2012: Student assistant at the Mannheim Center for European Social Research in the DFG project "Ethnic and social differences in small-scale housing choices"
Complete CV for download as PDF here.
- Ethnic and social conflicts
- Public opinion research
- Methods of empirical social research
- Quantitative text analysis
Czymara, C. S. (2018). Discursive Determinants of Attitudes towards Immigrants: Political Parties and Mass Media as Contextual Sources of Threat Perceptions. Universitäts- und Stadtbibliothek Köln.
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
Czymara & van Klingeren (2021). New perspective? Comparing Frame Occurrence in Online and Traditional News Media Reporting on Europe's "Migration Crisis". Communications: The European Journal of Communication Research.
Czymara & Eisentraut (2020). A threat to the Occident? Comparing human values of Muslim immigrants, Christian and non-religious natives in Western Europe. Frontiers in Sociology 5: 1-15.
Czymara, Langenkamp & Cano (2020). Cause for Concerns: Gender Inequality in Experiencing the COVID-19 Lockdown in Germany. European Societies.
Schmidt-Catran & Czymara (2020). "Did You Read About Berlin?" Terrorist Attacks, Online Media Reporting and Support for Refugees in Germany. Soziale Welt 71 (2–3): 305–337.
Czymara, Christian S. (2020). Attitudes toward refugees in contemporary Europe: A longitudinal perspective on cross-national differences. Social Forces.
Czymara, Christian S.: Propagated Preferences? Political Elite Discourses and Europeans’ Openness toward Muslim Immigrants. International Migration Review.
Czymara, Christian S., and Stephan Dochow. (2018). ”Mass Media and Concerns about Immigration in Germany in the 21st Century: Individual-Level Evidence over 15 Years.” European Sociological Review 34(4):381-401.
Czymara, Christian S., and Alexander W. Schmidt-Catran. (2017). ”Refugees Unwelcome? Changes in the Public Acceptance of Immigrants and Refugees in Germany in the Course of Europe’s „Immigration Crisis”.” European Sociological Review 33(6):735-751.
Czymara, Christian S., and Alexander W. Schmidt-Catran. (2016). „Wer ist in Deutschland willkommen? Eine Vignettenanalyse zur Akzeptanz von Einwanderern [Who is welcome in Germany? A vignette analysis on the acceptance of immigrants].” Kölner Zeitschrift für Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie 68(2):193-227.
Breznau, N., […] Czymara, C. S. […]. (2019). "The Crowdsourced Replication Initiative: Investigating Immigration and Social Policy Preferences using Meta-Science. Executive Report." SocArXiv.
Czymara, Christian S., and Alexander W. Schmidt-Catran. 2018. “Konfundierungen in Vignettenanalysen mit einzelnen d‑effizienten Vignettenstichproben [Confounding in vignette analyses with individual d-efficient vignette samples].“ Kölner Zeitschrift für Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie 70(1):93-103.
Grants and awards
- shortlist of German Thesis Award 2019 (Deutscher Studienpreis), Körber Foundation
- travel grant for ESRA meeting 2019, German Academic Exchange Service
- travel grant for BIGSSS Summer School in Computational Social Science 2019, Volkswagen Foundation
- best paper award, Bamberg Graduate School of Social Sciences conference 2017
- honorable mention for early career award, European Survey Research Association conference 2017
- best paper award 2016, Fritz Thyssen Stiftung
- Janet A. Harkness best paper award 2014, World Association for Public Opinion
- Research and American Association for Public Opinion Research
- three-year Ph. D. scholarship, Cologne Graduate School in Management, Economics and Social Sciences (2015-18)
Academy of Sociology, Constance, Germany
European Consortium for Political Research, Wroclaw, Poland
European Sociological Association, Manchester, UK
European Survey Research Association, 2019, Zagreb, Croatia
European Social Survey, 2019, Mannheim, Germany
International Sociological Association RC28 Spring Meeting, 2019, Frankfurt
Etmaal: Communication Science and Artiﬁcial Intelligence, 2019, Nijmegen, Netherlands
GESIS-IEDI Tagung zu Migration und interethnischen Beziehungen, 2018, Cologne, Germany
World Association for Public Opinion Research, 2018, Marrakesh, Morocco
Ruppin International Conference on Immigration and Social Integration, 2018, Ruppin Academic Center, Israel
Bamberg Graduate School of Social Sciences, 2017, Bamberg, Germany
European Survey Research Association, 2017, Lissabon, Portugal
Selected invited talks
Global Refugee and Migration in the Twenty-ﬁrst Century: Policies and Narratives of Inclusion, 2018, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., USA
Sociology Seminar, 2018, Tilburg, Netherlands