Prof. Dr. Alexander Vogel
Institute for Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences
Tel: +49 (69) 798-40225
Researcher ID: A-1772-2017
*10.01.1984, married, one child.
since 2018 Professor for Atmospheric Environmental Analytics (tenure-track), Goethe-University Frankfurt, Frankfurt am Main, Germany.
2016 – 2018 PostDoc at Paul Scherrer Institute, Laboratory for Environmental Chemistry with Prof. Dr. Margit Schwikowski, Villigen, Switzerland.
2014 – 2016 PostDoc at CERN (ITN CLOUD-TRAIN), CLOUD-Experiment with Prof. Dr. Jasper Kirkby, Geneva, Switzerland.
2010 – 2014 PhD at the Max Planck Graduate Center together with the Johannes Gutenberg-University Mainz, Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Thorsten Hoffmann, Mainz, Germany (summa cum laude).
2004 – 2010 Diploma studies in chemistry, Johannes Gutenberg-University Mainz, Germany.
I am an analytical and atmospheric chemist with expertise in trace organic analysis using mass spectrometry and separation techniques. I am interested in resolving the chemical composition of ambient organic aerosols, their formation and growth processes, try to identify the different sources of particulate matter in the atmosphere and better understand their effects on both climate and human health. Therefore, in our group we apply new mass-spectrometric trace analysis strategies for the chemical characterization of environmental samples, such as atmospheric PM samples, precipitation samples and glacier ice cores, but also PM samples from controlled laboratory experiments. Currently we develop and apply new analysis strategies of ultra-high resolution mass spectrometry, e.g. non-targeted analysis approaches and data-mining- and clustering strategies, in order to filter out the essentials in environmental mass spectrometry data.
Funding, Fellowships and Awards:
- Emmy Noether Research Group Leader, “Aerosol Loadings in the Future Atmosphere”, Funding by the DFG, since April 2019.
- 25th Adolf Messer Foundation Award, “Molecular Fingerprints of Secondary Particulate Matter”, November 2018.
- EU- Marie S. Curie ITN CLOUD-TRAIN (CERN, Geneva, Switzerland), Fellowship, 2014-2016.
- Max Planck Graduate Center with the JGU Mainz, Full-Membership, 2011-2014.
- German Chemical Society (Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh)), WG Analytical Chemistry and WG Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology (since 2008).
- Association for Aerosol Research (GAeF) (since 2014).