Department of History Didactics
The Department of History Didactics is located in the IG-Farben Building on Grüneburgplatz on Westend Campus.
The building is closely linked to German history of the 20 th century. It was built towards the end of the 1920s in line with the plans of architect Hans Poelzig as the administrative headquarters of Germany’s largest chemicals company at that time and was one of the first tower blocks in Frankfurt. Because IG-Farben was an important economic linchpin for the Nazi regime in the period 1933-1945, charges were brought against senior staff in the aftermath of World War II and the company itself dissolved. From 1945 onwards, the building served as the headquarters of the Fifth United States Army. Goethe University Frankfurt has used it since 2001.