Eleonora Vlach, Ph.D.
Goethe-University Frankfurt am Main
Campus Westend - PEG Building
Office: PEG 3rd floor, 133
Wednesday 16:00–19:00 by appointment via e-mail
I am post-doctoral researcher at the Chair of Social Stratification and Social Policy at the Institute of Sociology, Goethe University Frankfurt. In 2017 I obtained a Ph.D. from the School of Social Sciences, University of Trento, for my thesis on Social and Ethnic Stratification in Education in Comparative Perspective. I completed my master studies at the University of Trento too, with a dissertation on Social Inequalities in the Educational Careers of Italian students.
During my doctoral studies I had the pleasure to spend a visiting period at the University of Cologne- Graduiertenkolleg Soclife and to collaborate in research projects of the Department of Sociology and Social Research (University of Trento), the Department of Political and Sociological Sciences (University of Bologna), FbK-IRVAPP (Research Institute for the Evaluation of Public Policies) and IPRASE (Institute for Educational Research and scientific testing).
My research interests lay in the field of Social Stratification and Social Mobility, with a specific focus on the educational and occupational inequalities on the basis of individuals’ migration background and social origins. My research is devoted to the understanding of the mechanisms that allow the existence -and the reproduction- of economic and social inequalities, and of the phenomenon of migration and its effects on both the individuals’ life cycles and the social stratification in the countries of destination.
- Bildungsvorteile und -nachteile von Kindern von Einwanderern (MA level)
- Ethnizität, Migration und soziale Ungleichheit (BA level)
- 2020 - Sozialstrukturanalyse in vergleichender Perspektive (BA)
- 2019, 2020 - Bildungsvorteile und -nachteile von Kindern von Einwanderern (MA)
- 2019 - Ethnizität, Migration und soziale Ungleichheit (BA)
- 2019 - Einführung in die Sozialstrukturanalyse (BA)
- 2019, 2020 - Bildungsungleichheit (BA)
- 2018 - Educational advantages and disadvantages of children of immigrants (MA)
- 2018 - Social inequalities on the Basis of migration and ethnicity (BA)
- 2017, 2018 - Survey Design for Social Research Lab (University of Trento – MA)
Articles in refereed journals
- 2021 Why Do We Go to the Cemetery? Religion, Civicness, and the Cult of the Dead in Twenty-First Century Italy, Review of Religious Research (Springer) – currently in advance access, DOI: 10.1007/s13644-021-00454-1 (with Colombo A. D.).
- 2017 Family Background and Educational Path of Italian Graduates, Higher Education, 73(2):245-259, DOI: 10.1007/s10734-016-0011-2 (with Vergolini L.).
- 2013 Tra centro e periferia. Le forme della distanza in un’area urbana in transizione, Cambio Rivista sulle Trasformazioni Sociali, 6, 2, III, 147-158, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.13128/cambio-19263.
2020 Free or bounded? Migration, ethnicity, social background and educational choices in four European countries. In Fauri F., Mantovani D. and Strangio D. (eds.) "Economic and Social Perspectives on European Migration", Routledge Studies in Labour Economics, London: Routledge, pp. 200-227.
- 2018 Nazionalità, migrazione e apprendimenti in Italia: una comparazione tra livelli scolastici. Conference Proceedings: I dati INVALSI: uno strumento per la ricerca. Rome: Istituto Nazionale per la Valutazione del Sistema Educativo di Istruzione e Formazione (forthcoming).
- 2018 Understanding the sources of children of immigrants’ penalty in academic performance: Evidence from Italian compulsory education. Conference Proceedings: 49th Scientific meeting of the Italian Statistical Society. Palermo: SIS (forthcoming, with Triventi M.).
- 2017 Diseguali su quale base? Lo svantaggio scolastico dei figli di immigrati in Europa, Unitn-eprints.PhD, DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.23751.70560.
- 2017 Cinquant'anni di cambiamenti sociali e territoriali in Trentino dal primo Piano Urbanistico. Final Research Report Vol. I, II, III. Trento: Provincia Autonoma di Trento (with Sciortino G.).
Works in progress presented at international conferences
Can the features of the Educational System shape Ethnic Minority’s Educational Intentions? Educational Aspiration and Intentions in four western European Countries.
- 2nd International CILS4EU Conference, 24-25 January 2018, Utrecht (NL).
- IMISCOE Annual Conference, 28-30 June 2017, Rotterdam (NL).
- ESA-RN10 Midterm Conference, 12-13 September 2016, Milan (IT).
Does a Lack of Integration Policies Lead to Lower Integration Outcomes? Children of Immigrants’ Educational Achievement in Five European Countries
- 1st International CILS4EU Conference, 1-2 December 2016, Mannheim (DE).
- ISA–RC28 Summer Meeting, 29-31 August 2016, Bern (CH).
- BAGSS Annual Conference, 20-21 July 2016, Bamberg (DE).
- ESA-RN10 Biannual Meeting, 27-31 July 2015, Prague (CZ).
Social origins and the decision to leave university in times of economic crisis: the role of the field of study (with Vergolini L.).
- ISA–RC28 Spring Meeting, 29 March-1 April 2017, Cologne (DE).
Family background and stratification in Higher Education: Could the Italian case provide a test for the 'Effective Maintained Inequality' hypothesis?
- ISA–RC28 Spring Meeting, 8-10 May 2014, Budapest (H).
- ESA PhD Summer School, 27-30 July 2014, York (UK).
- ECSR-MITO Spring School, 18-22 March 2013, Turin (IT).
Exam-based versus Choice-based Educational Systems and Ethnic Inequality in Education: Germany and England in Comparison
- 1st International NEPS Conference, 7-8 July 2016, Bamberg (DE).
- since 2012- International Sociological Association - RC28 (Social Stratification and Mobility)
- since 2012- European Sociological Association - RN10 (Sociology of Education)
- since 2012- Migration scenarios and social changes study unit (Centro Studi Scenari Migratori e Mutamento Sociale), Department of Sociology and Social Research, University of Trento (IT).
- since 2017- IMISCOE Network (International Migration, Integration and Social Cohesion)