Current issues & deadlines
Before you apply
- Undergraduate studies
- Special Procedure (DoSV)
- Medicine and Dentistry (Non-EU-citizien)
- Master & international programmes
- uni-assist exceptions & special procedures
Once you have applied
Application process for undergraduate studies (Bachelor & State Examination)
In most cases, international students with a university entrance qualification (“Hochschulzugangsberechtigung”) from outside Germany complete their application for Goethe University via uni-assist, a service provider who carries out the preliminary check of international university applications. Uni-assist processes international applications and forwards the electronic application data to Goethe University.
There are exceptions to the uni-assist procedure for certain groups of applicants or subjects. Please make sure whether you have to follow a special procedure.
Concerning applications: Even if you have not yet completed the DSH preparatory course or attend the Studienkolleg, you may apply for your chosen course of study via uni-assist. In those cases, you will initially receive an invitation to the placement test for the DSH preparatory course or the Studienkolleg.
University entrance qualifications (“Hochschulzugangsberechtigungen”) are, for example, Abitur, A-levels, High School Diploma, Baccalaureat, Lise Diploması and others. Uni-assist processes applications for study courses, DSH preparatory courses and the Studienkolleg at Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Apply online.
- Register on the uni-assist online portal.
- Fill in your application request.
- Submit your request electronically, together with the appropriate uploaded documents, to uni-assist.
- Pay the application fee of 75 Euro for your first preference of study and of 30 Euro for each additional option. You can find more information on the payment options here.
- Send certified (and if necessary translated) copies of your education and language certificates to uni-assist by mail.
- If you have provided all necessary documentation and met the application requirements, your information will be passed on to Goethe University, usually within 4-6 weeks.
Please send your application to:
c/o uni-assist e.V.
You will need the following documents for your application via uni-assist:
- Graduation certificate or school leaving certificate specifying the subjects taken and marks achieved, together with all other documents that would grant you entry to higher education systems in your home country (including a translation by a certified translator into either German or English).
- APS-certificate. Applicants from Vietnam and the People’s Republic of China need to submit an original copy of the APS-certificate of academic screening issued by the Academic Evaluation Centre ("Akademische Prüfstelle – APS").
>> Further information
- Proof of your knowledge of German – certified as B1 at least.
- Copy of your valid passport (only the page that contains your personal data).
- If required: a receipt of payment
- If required: TestAS (Test for Academic Studies): For Non-EU applicants in the fields of Medicine, Dentistry, Biochemistry, Pharmacy, the results of the TestAS is weighed at 49% for the admissions decision.
- Confirmation of participation in the OSA (online self assessment) if you apply for one of the following subjects: Biophysik BSc, Biowissenschaften BSc, Ethnologie BA HF/NF, Germanistik BA HF/NF, Islamische Studien BA, Meteorologie BSc, Psychologie BSc (to be submitted on enrolment by the latest).
Notes concerning application documents:
- All submitted documents in your application must be presented with legal certification. Exception: the copy of your passport, the receipt of your payment and the OSA confirmation. TestDaF and IELTS can be verified online by uni-assist. A simple copy of your certificate is sufficient in this case. >> Formal requirements
- Please do not send original certificates and please make sure that all your necessary forms and documents are included and complete!
Exceptions to the uni-assist procedure:
- Visiting or exchange students
- International applicants with foreign certificates and a certificate of recognition
>> apply online via Goethe University
- International applicants holding a German Abitur
>> apply online via Goethe University
- Applications from EU-residents wishing to study medicine, dentistry or pharmacy are processed via hochschulstart.
- Applications for postgraduate programmes for graduated lawyers.
- Applications for Master’s programmes
- Doctoral studies
- Applicants for undergraduate studies in Psychologie (Psychology), Biowissenschaften (Biosciences), Biochemie (Biochemistry), Chemie (Chemistry), Wirtschaftswissenschaften (Economics) or Rechtswissenschaften (Law) register with hochschulstart and then submit their application through uni-assist:DoSV (special procedure)
Applying to multiple universities/institutes of higher education
If you wish to apply to more than one university, please ascertain that all institutes you wish to apply for conduct their application process via uni-assist. You can find a list of all institutes that use uni-assist here.
Please fill in a separate application form on the uni-assist online portal for every institute you wish to apply for. It is sufficient, however, to submit only one copy of the documents for your applications.
PLEASE NOTE: Depending on the different universities you apply to and the subjects you apply for, you may need to provide different documents! Applications for universities that do not operate through uni-assist must be sent directly to the universities. Please find information regarding the documentation they require on their respective websites.
For further questions regarding university entrance qualifications or documents needed for applications please turn to the Application Advisory Service.
Applying above entry level
Please note that if you are already enrolled in the same study programme at a German university at the time of application, you are only eligible to apply for the next higher semester. If you have studied abroad or if you are currently not enrolled, you may apply for both the first and a higher semester.
Application above entry level is also processed by uni-assist.
It is important that, if you wish to apply above entry level, you also need to provide a note of recognition of the examination office in charge of the relevant faculty or department, at the latest by the application deadline.
Please note that once you have been admitted to the first semester, it is not possible to be moved to a higher semester later on.
Please contact the subject-specific guidance service ("Fachstudienberatung") of the relevant faculty and the "Studierendensekretariat" (student registration office). They will provide further information about applying above entry level.
Please find below links to the examinations offices, to information by the Study Service Center and for the application procedures of medicine, 'Lehramt' and 'Wirtschaftswissenschaften' resp. 'Wirtschaftspädagogik'.