Post-doctoral Research Fellow
E-Mail: fotta (at) em.uni-frankfurt.de
Key areas of research
Economy and Value; Ethnic Economies; Nomadic Strategies; Masculinity (Gender); Violence; Money; Credit and Debt; Cash Transfers; Constructions of Ethnicity; Romanies; Brazil; Latin America
Current research project
Effects of the conditional cash transfer programme „Bolsa Familia“ on the character of indebtedness of peasant households in Bahia, Brazil (DFG funded 01.09.2015- 31.08.2018)
- 2016 (forthcoming): “‘They say he is a man now’: A tale of fathers and sons.”, Journal of Latin American Cultural Studies
- 2015 (with Cunha, M. I. & Brazzabeni, M.): Gypsy Economy: Romani Livelihoods and Notions of Worth in the 21st Century. Berghahn
- 2014 (with Ferrari, F.): “Brazilian Gypsiology A view from anthropology.” Romani Studies 24.2: 111–136.
- 2015: “Exchange, Shame and Strength among the Calon of Bahia: A Values-Based Analysis”, in: Brazzabei, M., M. I. Cunha & M. Fotta (eds.): Gypsy Economy: Romani Livelihoods and Notions of Worth in the 21st Century. Berghahn
Lectures / Speeches
- 06.11.2015: November 6, 2015 Between “nomadic cosmology” and “traditional” peoples ideology: Cigano nomadism and the Calon spatiality in Brazil. Challenging issues in Roma/Gypsy studies today. St Andrews.
- 06.03.2015: Ciganos as money-lenders: interrelation of the money-lending activities of Calon Gypsies and the formalized financial regime (Bahia, Brazil). Religion, Ethnicity, and Economic Performance New Concepts and Empirical Applications – A Workshop, Humboldt-Universität, Berlin, Germany
- 02.02.2015: Entre a ecumene da dívida e o estado de moeda soberana: Ciganos no Brasil como tricksters ou estranhos. Panel: MR08 - Ecumene: habitação e narrativa na constituição das solidariedades interpessoais, XII CONLAB - Congresso de Ciências Sociais e Humanas em Língua Portuguesa, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 07/2012–07/2014 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Research Training Group “Value and Equivalence”, Goethe Universität.
- 10/2007–06/2009 Marie Curie Social Anthropology Doctoral Fellow, Goldsmiths, University of London.
- 2009 Dissertation Fieldwork Grant, Wenner Gren.