Information from the University

+++ Please keep yourself up-to-date on announcements from Goethe University regarding Corona on +++

For international students

Please note that due to the rapidly changing nature of the situation, we cannot guarantee that the information provided here is up-to-date and correct. Please always consult the pages of the relevant institutions. Only the information published there is binding. If you miss important concerns of international students here, please write to

Information on Corona in Germany

Competences briefly explained:

On March 22nd, 2020, the German government decided on measures for extended restrictions of social contacts in order to slow down the spread of the coronavirus and to keep the health care system efficient. The Federal Ministry of Health ("BMG") is responsible for decisions and their implementation in the field of healthcare. In Hesse, the Hessian Ministry of Social Affairs and Integration and the local health authorities are responsible. The Federal Centre for Health Education ("BzgA") provides information on the coronavirus specifically for citizens. The Robert Koch Institute ("RKI") provides a professional assessment of the situation and advises the Federal Government and the specialist public. The Federal Ministry of the Interior ("BMI") and the Federal Police are responsible for entry regulations, border controls etc. The Federal Foreign Office provides advice on travel, safety and health for other countries and looks after German citizens abroad.

Please be sure to check with quality-assured information sources! On the pages mentioned above, information is usually also available in other languages.

Please be sure to follow the guidelines and recommendations of the responsible authorities. If necessary, special local measures may also have to be observed!

Further information:

Information by the Robert Koch Institute (public health institute)

Information in various languages by the Federal Government Commissioner for Migration, Refugees and Integration

Information in various languages by the Office for Multicultural Affairs in Frankfurt and the the Hessian Ministry of Social Affairs and Integration

FAQ by the Federal Government of Germany

Information from the Federal Minisitry of the Interior

Measures to restrict social contacts: Binding since 22.03.2020 under threat of fines! Among other things, the stay in public space is only allowed alone, with another person not living in the household or with members of the household; private meetings at one's own or others' homes are forbidden; the use of public transport is restricted; work should be done at home where possible; travel within Germany should be avoided etc.

Hygiene measures: Information by the Federal Centre of Health Education in various languages


(last updated April 29th, 2020)

International students with a long-term national visa for the purpose of study coming from 3rd countries who are currently abroad:

1) If you are already in the midst of your studies and have an officially registered residence in Germany, you may return to Germany. However, please note:

  • Your duties decreed by the German authorities: Immediately after your arrival, you must notify the public health office responsible for you (-> search here) as well as observe a 2-week quarantine. This means that you must return to your residence immediately after arrival in the most direct way and remain there for 14 days. You are not allowed to leave your lodgings during this time, not even to go grocery shopping, and you are not allowed to receive visitors who are not part of your housing community (your flatmates). In case of symptoms of illness, you must contact the public health office responsible for you immediately. Please note that non-compliance with these duties can be sanctioned by the authorities.
  • At your own risk: The final decision about your entry is at the discretion of the border police at your point of entry. We cannot guarantee your entry and you are taking the decision to return at your own risk.
  • Please do not enter if you are sick or were in contact with a confirmed Corona case.

2) If you have just begun your studies and do not yet have an officially registered residence in Germany (generally the case if the summer term 2020 is your 1st semester), you are not allowed to enter, even if you have already obtained a visa.

  • Exception: You have written confirmation from the university that your actual physical presence at the university is needed. You must carry the written proof with you and be able to produce it at the border control.

3) Please make sure to take note of the information provided by the authorities on their respective websites:

Students from third countries with a long-term national visa for the purpose of studying who are staying in Germany

Students with a long-term national visa for the purpose of studying from third countries who are staying in Germany

  • Please contact the embassy of your home country in Germany and register with the crisis prevention instruments available there, if necessary.
  • There are currently no restrictions on leaving the country, but there is a worldwide travel warning from the Federal Foreign Office. Some countries have imposed entry bans or special controls. Please remember that you may not be able to return to Germany.

Application/extension of a residence permit

(last updated April 28th, 2020)

Important: Please take note of the current regulations of Goethe University!

If you are applying for a visa for the first time, there may be delays and changes in the procedure due to embassy closures. Please be sure to check with your embassy whether you need to submit any additional documents (e.g. proof of digital study, late start of lectures, etc.) or if deadlines have been changed.

If you have initially entered Germany without a visa (only for specific countries), but need to apply for a residence permit within 90 days, please submit a corresponding application to the Immigration Office in your place of residence using the channels provided by this office.

Please refer to the website of the Immigration Office responsible for you to find out how you can currently apply for or extend a residence permit. In spite of the situation, please make sure that you submit your application for a granting/extension of your residence permit in due time!

Immigration Office Frankfurt: Send your application for issuance/extension electronically to You will then receive a certificate of fiction by post until personal appointments can be made again. Please note that you can only enter and leave the country from the German side with a fictional certificate according to § 81 (4) AufenthG. Please also clarify with your country of destination whether it accepts the fictional certificate as a travel document. FAQ Corona, hotline: 069 212 -42485/ -46486/ -31538 (Mon-Thu 8-16, Fr 8-12),

The ABH FFM opens again on 4.5.2020 for customers who have an appointment. You will only be admitted if you have an appointment, provide proof of it and wear a mouth-nose cover. Please come to the entrance (Rebstöcker Str. 4) 10 minutes before the appointment. You can make an appointment by e-mail, stating your first name, surname, date of birth, residential address, request to

Immigration Office Wetterau: Submission of documents by mail. Hotline: 06031 83-2566

If you have secured your livelihood through gainful employment in the past and this is demonstrably not possible at present due to the effects of the Covid 19 pandemic, or if your parents have financed your livelihood and there are income restrictions on them due to the Covid 19 pandemic, the Immigration Office may temporarily suspend this requirement for the extension of your residence permit. The extension of the scope of employment beyond 120 full / 240 half days is to be facilitated, but you must still obtain the approval of the Aliens Department in advance.

If you are abroad, cannot return to Germany and your residence permit expires, you can submit an informal application for an extension by e-mail. To do so, you must send a complete scan of your passport and your flight ticket(s) with which you travelled abroad, as well as the nearest German mission abroad. If your stay can be extended, you will receive a fictional certificate by post from the German mission abroad.

If, due to the corona pandemic, restrictions in the teaching activities of the universities lead to an extension of the study period, these are to be considered as circumstances for which the student is not responsible in the individual case examination with regard to the 10-year period of study.

Statement from the International Office on progress of studies and expected end date

Please send the following documents electronically to io-sozial(at)

  • Letter from the immigration office
  • Passport: Biographical page, visa page
  • Enrollment record (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung)
  • Current transcript of records/ credit point overview (available as PDF from QIS-LSF)
  • If you have obtained credits that do not yet appear on your transcript but have been granted, individual records (Scheine)
  • If you are facing delays in your studies, proof of reason (e.g. medical certificate)
  • The provided form

For doctoral students: A statement from your PhD supervisor on how your dissertation project is going and what the expected end date is

Please provide the following information in your email:

  • First name, last name, nationality
  • Date of first entry to Germany for the purpose of studying
  • Subject of study, type of degree, semester, student ID number (Matrikelnummer)
  • Date of appointment with / for submitting your documents to the immigration office

Back to the top ↑

Financial aid for students at need

(last updated April 1st, 2020)

Since 01.04.2020 (until 30.06.2020) there is a claim for protection against dismissal and deferment of payment for contracts securing the existence of the basic supply. Link BMJV Please contact your landlord, electricity and telephone provider etc. proactively and ask for a deferment of payment. Please note, however, that this is a deferral, you will have to pay the money at a later date.

  • The KfW Group is making interest-free loans of up to EUR 650/month available to international students from July onwards. Further information here: Press release and KfW page on the student loan (only inf German)
  • The Studentenwerk Frankfurt provides information about the possibility of a loan free of interest or support from an emergency fund. You will also find an overview of various contact points in financial emergencies.
  • Goethe University's Job Center offers an overview of alternative student jobs in quarantine.
  • BAföG (only available in German):
    • Postponement of the start of lectures does not affect BAföG entitlement
    • If examinations are postponed to times after the standard period of study, the submission date for the performance record may also be postponed accordingly
    • If certain required proofs cannot be obtained (e.g. due to closure of the university), this does not prevent BAföG funding
    • If your parents are currently earning less, e.g. due to short-time work, your chances of receiving BAföG or higher BAföG support are greater

Back to the top ↑

Housing support

Back to the top ↑

Psychosocial care

          Tel.: 069/798-34905 or 069/798-34922

         Tel.: 069/798-25366

Immatriculation, GoetheCard, HRZ account

An address in Germany is required for sending the GoetheCard and HRZ Account, which is required for registration to the online lectures. If this is not possible for you, please write directly to

A withdrawal of the registration is possible until April 30th, 2020.

To avoid having to travel to the campus to validate your Goethe Card, you can print out your own RMV ticket for the Hessian transport services, valid until the end of April, on your PC at home. To do this, you call up the address of the Goethe Card service ("Kartenservice", unfortunately not available in English) and log in with your HRZ account. The menu item 'RMV-Bescheinigung anzeigen' will then appear in the selection menu. Press "Starten" and a new window will appear. Again, press  'RMV-Bescheinigung anzeigen' on the right and the download will start. This provides you with a personalised form that you can print out yourself.

Back to the top ↑

Registration at the Citizens Registration Office

At the moment all "Bürgerämter"/Citizens Registrations Offices are closed and you cannot register your residence. There are no fines for late registration. As soon as the "Bürgerämter"/Citizens Registration Offices are open again, please register immediately.

Back to the top ↑