Degree Programmes Offered
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
- Master of Arts (M.A.)
- Teaching Degrees
- Student counselling service
Master of Arts in Economic Sociology - Applications
Condition of admission
The following admission conditions in accordance with § 8 of the Programme and Examination Regulations (in German) must be fulfilled in order for you to be considered in the selection procedure:
The subject-specific admission requirement for this programme is a completed Bachelor degree in Sociology or a related or comparable programme. Programmes held to be related or comparable are those in which course and examination achievements in the field of Social Sciences (above all in the fields of “Sociological Theories” and “Methods of Empirical Social Research”) of at least 60 credit points (CPs) in accordance with the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) have been attained.
Prospective students with a foreign Higher Education Entrance Qualification and a Bachelor degree from a foreign or international higher education institution must produce proof of sufficient proficiency in German in accordance with the German Language University Entrance Examination Rules (in German).
Proof of good proficiency in English of at least Level B2 of the “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages” of the Council of Europe is required. Examples of types of proof are:
- Five years of English instruction at a school (last or second last certified grade at least “Satisfactory”)
- A UNIcert certificate (Level 2)
- ToEFL test (internet-based, with a score of at least 80)
Closing date for applications
Applications for the respective winter semester are possible from mid May onwards following registration via a central online portal. Closing Date is the 31st of May!
- Higher Education Entrance Qualification (generally German “Abitur”, respectively equivalent Qualification is required)
- Bachelor certificate or Transcript of Records or a comparable document listing course and examination achievements so far attained and showing an average grade (additionally - if applicable - please submit your own list)
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Proof of German language proficiency
- Written elaboration based on a question specific to the degree programme
(details are provided on the German website and when you apply through uni-assist)
All documents must be translated into German or English by a sworn translator and submitted both in the original and translated language. All copies are required to be authenticated, respectively notarized.
Instructions issued by the Student Service Center regarding the documents to be submitted can be found here.
Important: If you do not yet have your Bachelor certificate, you may apply on the basis of at least 144 credit points with a preliminary certificate (Transcript of Records), which contains the average grade (at least 4.0) and all examination achievements so far. This preliminary certificate must be issued by an entity authorized to award grades or issue certificates. Incomplete applications cannot be considered!
Admission is restricted. After admission conditions have been reviewed, there will be a ranking of applications- if applicable - on the basis of the final B.A. grade or the preliminary average grade documented in the Transcript of Records, as well as the Motivation Letter in accordance with the Selection Rules III (in German).