Welcome to the International Office website!
Exchange program with Shanghai, China
Frankfurt students of Goethe-University have the opportunity to study at its partner institution Fudan University in Shanghai, China, as exchange students for one or two semesters (Sept-Jan / Feb-July/Sept-July) or participate in the summer program (beg. of July - beg. of August).
Fudan University is one of China's oldest institutions of higher education with 29 schools and departments, over 25,000 students and about 2,500 teachers and researchers.
Nominated exchange students will be exempted from paying tuition fees at Fudan University. All other expenses (e.g. health insurance, travel costs, housing etc.) will have to be paid by the students. On-campus housing is available to exchange students. Financial support (website in German only) may be available for the study abroad period – please check carefully whether you are eligible to apply.
Goethe University students may apply for one of the following programs:
- “Language Student”: Participation in a set of intensive Chinese language courses according to level of language in fields of listening, speaking, writing and reading (from beginner to advanced)
- “General Advanced Student” / “Senior (Advanced) Student”: for undergraduate / graduate students who may take courses in their subject in Chinese or English and a maximum of 4 hours of language classes – most courses at Fudan are taught in Chinese, please see English-taught courses
- Summer Program: 4-week intensive courses in Chinese Society and Politics, Chinese History and Culture, Chinese Business and Economy und Chinese Language (July - Aug)
- Applicants must at least be in their 2nd semester (BA), MA students may apply during their 1st semester; BA students whose curriculum require a semester abroad during the 3rd semester may exceptionally apply during their 1st semester
- Good academic standing (average grade min. 2,0)
- Language requirements:
- Language students: good knowledge of English and/or at least basic knowledge of Chinese (language proficiency certificate)
- General Advanced Student/Senior (Advanced) Student: Chinese (new HSK level 6 (score of at least 220)) or English (Toefl iBT 80 or enrolled in all-English taught programs at home university)
- Summer Session: good knowledge of English (language proficiency certificate or enrolled in all-English taught programs at home university)
- It is expected of exchange students to return to Goethe-University after their study abroad period and continue and finish their studies here.
- Students who do not hold a German Abitur or other German Hochschulzugangsberechtigung and who are enrolled in an English degree have to submit proof of German proficiency (preferably at least B1)
- Applicants are expected to be able to take on an ambassador role for Goethe University and Frankfurt
Before compiling all application documents, please read the application manual carefully. If you need assistance please see us during office hours.
|Application documents:||Application form - will be generated from online application (will open approx. 4 weeks prior to application deadline)
further application documents, please see application manual
|Application deadline:||Wednesday 3 February 2021|
|interviews:||approx. 2-3 weeks after application deadline (as soon as date is known, it will be published here)
there might be a preselection based on written application so that not all applicants will be invited