Goethe-University Frankfurt am Main
Room 3.G 149
You can find more information at
Tomás Cano is postdoctoral researcher (Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin) at the chair in Sociology of Work at Goethe University of Frankfurt and Research Fellow of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Children and Families over the Life Course. He did his PhD at Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona and he has been visiting scholar at the German Institute for Economic Research (DIW-Berlin), The University of Queensland (Australia), the University of Cologne (Germany) and at the Institute of Education, University College of London (UK).
His research focuses on the study of class and gender inequalities over the life course and across generations. In his PhD he looked at two channels through which parents transmit advantage to their children: time and emotional investments. Empirically, he uses quantitative methods for causal analysis and large scale datasets such as the Longitudinal Study of Australian Children, the German Socio-Economic Panel or Time-Use Surveys.
His research has been published in journals like Journal of Marriage and Family or Revista Española de Investigaciones Sociológicas, and awarded by the European Commission, the Sociological Association of Madrid or the RC28-ISA.
- Social inequality
- family demography
- child development
- intergenerational transmission of (dis)advantage, gender
- Work-Family Policies in International Comparison
- Social Inequalities of Time in Paid and Unpaid Work
- Changing Nature of Work: Social Inequality and Skills Developments
- Comparative Policies on Work-Family Balance
- International Comparative Policies on Work-Family Balance
- The Social Stratification of Time in Paid Work, Housework, and Childcare
- Perspectives on the sociology of work and family
- Cano, T. (2019): Changes in Fathers' and Mothers' Time with Children: Spain, 2002-2010. European Sociological Review.
- “Time, Love and Parenting: The Role of Fathers in the Intergenerational Transmission of Advantage”. PhD Thesis. Pompeu Fabra University.
- “A Matter of Time: Father Involvement and Children Cognitive Outcomes” (with F. Perales and J. Baxter). Journal of Marriage and Family, 2018
- “Toward a New Model of Fatherhood? Discourses on the Process of Paternal Involvement in Urban Spain” Revista Española de Investigaciones Sociológicas, 159. 2017.
- “Time and Inequality in Labor and Family Dynamics” [in Spanish]. Revista Internacional de Sociología, 75. 2017.
- “Changing Family Models: Emerging New Opportunities for Fathers in Catalonia (Spain)?” (with Lluís Flaquer & A. Moreno), In I. Crespi & E. Ruspini (Eds.): Balancing Work and Family in a Changing Society: The Fathers’ perspective. London: Palgrave-MacMillan, 2016.