Child benefits

Parents are eligible to receive child benefits ("Kindergeld") for all children aged up to 18. Parents from foreign countries can also apply for child benefits under certain circumstances. It is usually paid to those parents who are currently residing in Germany or who are normal residents of Germany. Applicants who are not actually living in Germany may be eligible to receive child benefits if they are subject to unlimited income taxation in Germany. This means that the majority of their income is exclusively earned in Germany. Child benefits currently amount to approx. €184 per month for the first and second child, €190 for the third child and €215 for each additional child. You need to send a hand-written application to the local Family Benefits Office ("Familienkasse") to be assessed for eligibility.

You can obtain the necessary application forms and information from the responsible official at the Human Resources department or Bezügestelle.

Non-German employees with EU citizenship and who have their place of residence in Frankfurt should contact the "Familienkasse Frankfurt" (Fischerfeldstr. 10-12, 60311 FaM,, 069/2171-2430, Opening Hours: 8.00-12.20, Thurs until 6.00 p.m.).


Family allowance

If you are a citizen of an EU member State, the EEA States or Switzerland, you are usually eligible to receive a family allowance if you are employed or simply living in Germany.
Non-EU citizens can receive a family allowance if they hold a permanent residence permit and are permitted to take up employment. If you hold a residence permit you automatically meet this requirement. If you hold a settlement permit, you only meet the requirement if you are also entitled to take up employment in Germany or have already worked here legally. Those parents from foreign countries who hold a residence permit for the purpose of studying, or only in connection with a work permit for a specified maximum period of time do not qualify for a family allowance.