The information on the following webpages is aimed at international students who will be participating in organized exchange programs, i.e. students who are part of a university partnership or exchange program (e.g. ERASMUS). Additionally, this encompasses scholarship holders, who are supported by an institution such as the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), Fulbright Commission, KAAD, or another scholarship organization. Students who come to Goethe University for a limited period of time - usually one or two semesters - as non-degree-seeking students. (Information for degree-seeking international applicants can be found here instead.)
U P D A T E S:
SUMMER SEMESTER 2020: Goethe University has been keeping in line with the official guidelines and recommendations. All welcome and introductory activities had to be cancelled and the start of the summer semester had been postponed to April 20, and has since started as an online semester.
GIVEN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES THE INTERNATIONAL OFFICE DID NOT ENCOURAGE STUDENTS NOMINATED BY OUR PARTNERS TO TRAVEL TO FRANKFURT. We tried to accomodate postponements into the winter semester in case that was an option.
Concerning those students who had arrived on our campus in early March and stayed in Frankfurt: We try our best to accomodate you and help you. Please contact us by mail or phone with your questions and updates. We will try to answer as quick as we can, but delays may occur.
We sincerely hope that by everybody acting in a responsible manner harmful and health threatening situations can be avoided.
WINTER SEMESTER 2020/21:
- The lecture period starts on November 1st, 2020. Goethe University plans to offer in person, face-to-face classroom teaching for classes up to 20 students in the winter semester 20/21. Larger classes will be offered as online classes. Depending on the developments of the COVID-19 situation, we may be forced to offer online-classes only at first, the smaller ones of which will be switched to face-to-face classroom teaching once deemed safe.
- Physical mobilities to GU will be possible, if the situation permits, and thus nominated exchange students can apply until the deadline of July 15, 2020, also for housing (inflexible rental period Sep. 1st, 2020 until Feb. 28, 2021) and free of charge German language courses in September and most probably October.
- In the worst case GU may be forced to offer virtual mobilities with a limited range and number of online classes.
- Deferrals into the summer semester 2021 or academic year 2021/22 are possible, in case that is an option. Students would have to be nominated for the new mobility period by their home institution coordinators.
- Future guest students should be careful of making financial commitments and should not quit jobs and housing contracts in their home countries and only book transportation with travel cancellation expenses insurances. GU cannot be made liable for financial costs, reimbursement of semester social contribution and housing deposit and rent payments will not be possible.
- GU will not accept any freemover students at BA or MA-level (first and second cycle) in the winter semester 20/21.
The International Office can help you with preparations for your study period at Goethe University in Frankfurt and will assist you during your stay in Frankfurt.
Further information can be found in our brochure Guide for Visiting Students.
Information on the nomination/application procedure can be found in the key data sheet (see downloads right-hand side).