Certificate recognition and Studienkolleg 

In order to study in Germany, you need a recognised school-leaving certificate. On this page you will find information on recognition and attending the Studienkolleg.

Recognition of certificates

Assessment of university entrance qualification via anabin

International applicants are required to present a high school certificate equivalent to the German Abitur. Unfortunately, not all foreign high school qualifications are automatically recognised as equivalent to the Abitur. Please refer to the database anabin for an overview.

Applicants whose previous level of education does not meet the entry requirements for a course of study in Germany, are required to complete an academic assessment test (“Feststellungsprüfung” or university assessment test). The International Study Centre in the “Studienkolleg” (preparatory college) offers prepatory classes as well as the assessment test.

"Studienkolleg" and "Feststellungsprüfung"

The "Studienkolleg" (preparatory college) of the Goethe University's International Study Centre ("Internationales Studienzentrum") is the pathway for international students who do not meet the entry criteria at Goethe University yet. Passing the assessment at the end of the one-year course gives you a subject-specific entrance qualification that allows you to apply for a place at a German university.

Further links

Frequently Asked Questions about the Studienkolleg

You are required to apply before the given deadline by submitting all the necessary documents via uni-assist for the specific course of study you wish to pursue and the Studienkolleg you wish to attend. If your application meets the requirements, you can expect an invitation from the university to sit the entrance examination for the Studienkolleg, in May for the summer semester and in September for the winter semester. Please note that there are usually more applications than places at the Studienkolleg. Candidates for Studienkollegs are therefore selected based on the results in the entrance exam. 

You need to apply for the next semester through uni-assist again. Uni-assist is obliged to keep all documents on record for the period of one year. Therefore, if you reapply within this period you will not have to re-submit your documents.
A course at a Studienkolleg will usually last one year (two semesters) with an average of 30 hours per week.
If you are enrolled in a Studienkolleg, you are required to attend lessons and take part in regular written and oral assessments throughout the course. At the end of the course you will take the “Feststellungsprüfung” (university assessment test).
During your first year of residence as a student in Germany you are only permitted to work during the semester break. After this, you are allowed, as a student with a student visa, to work for 120 full days or 240 half days per year. Further information is available on these pages:

Contact web editors

Have you found an error on the web pages or would you like to praise them?
Please contact:

Also visit us on our social media channels: