Current issues & deadlines
Before you apply
- Undergraduate studies
- Master & international programmes
- uni-assist exceptions & special procedures
Once you have applied
Exceptions & special procedures
In some cases there are exceptions to the regular uni-assist application procedure. This means that for certain courses of study, for certain groups of applicants a different procedure is followed than the standard application via uni-assist, or that there are separate application procedures.
A list of exceptions and special procedures can be found on this page. If you have any questions, please contact the Applications Advisory Service at the International Office!
Exceptions from the uni-assist procedure
- Guest students and students participating in an international exchange programme (e.g. ERASMUS, DAAD) should contact the International Office, "Referat Incomings - exchange programmes" directly.
- Any applicants (irrespective of nationality) with foreign school diploma who also possess a certificate of recognition ("Anerkennungsbescheid") (for example from an office for the recognition of foreign degrees in a German state) should apply directly via the Students Registration Office ("Studierendensekretariat") (online application procedure of the Goethe University), not via uni-assist.
- International applicants who completed the Abitur in Germany (or at a German school abroad) should also apply directly via the Students Registration Office ("Studierendensekretariat") (online application procedure of the Goethe University)
- If you want to apply above entry level for a course with a teaching degree, you need to get a notice of recognition from the “Lehrkräfteakademie” (teacher's academy). Take this to the Applications Advisory Service at the International Office.
- Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacology for Germans with foreign qualifications, for EU citizens, for international applications who are married to an EU citizen, and for “Bildungsinländer*innen” (foreign students who qualified in Germany for studies at a German university): application for and allocation of places are processed via Hochschulstart.de.
- Application for postgraduate programmes for lawyers (LL.M.): Further information can be found on the website of the law faculty.
- For most Master’s programmes the application forms and documents undergo the uni-assist procedure. However, some Master’s programmes do not use the uni-assist service. In these cases the application process goes directly to the respective faculty of the programme.
>> Master’s & international programmes
>> Master portal
- Applications for doctoral studies should go directly to the dean’s office of the respective faculty or to the research institute offering the programme. >> Further information
Special procedure (DoSV) for Psychology, Rechtswissenschaften, Biowissenschaften and Wirtschaftswissenschaften
For specific groups of applicants for the first semester:
>> Germans with foreign school certificates
>> EU citizens
>> Foreign applicants, who are married to an EU citizen (who is working in Germany)
>> co-called "Bildungsinländer*innen" (foreign applicants who hold a German university entrance qualification or have already completed a course of study in Germany)
Your application procedure includes taking the dialogue-oriented service procedure (“Dialogorientierten Serviceverfahren” DoSV) set by the “Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung” (a foundation organising centralised admissions procedures), as well as submitting your qualifications to uni-assist for preliminary checking.
- Register with the "Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung" in the category „Studiengänge mit örtlicher Zulassungsbeschränkung“ (courses with locally restricted admissions) Once you have registered you will receive two identification numbers (BID and BAN).
- Apply to Goethe University by filling in the online application form on the uni-assist portal, giving your BID and BAN.
- Submit the application form electronically on the uni-assist portal.
- Print out and sign a copy of the completed form.
- Gather the necessary documentation for your application (with officially certified copies in German or English).
- Pay the handling costs ("Bearbeitungskosten").
- Send hard copies of your documents, application form, and proof of payment to uni-assist in Berlin.
The application deadline for Psychology and Biowissenschaften closes on 15th July of any given year.
The application deadline for Rechtswissenschaften and Wirtschaftswissenschaften closes on 15th January (for the summer semester) and on 15th July (for the winter semester) of any given year.
Please send in your application as early as possible so that any complications and questions can still be clarified before the deadline closes. Incomplete applications will not be considered!