Recognition of certificates

X grafik stempel

Assessment of university entrance qualification via anabin

To study in Germany you must have graduated school with a certificate equivalent to the German Abitur. The high school qualifications offered in certain countries are not recognised as equivalent to the Abitur. If you are unsure if you have a valid university entrance qualification (“Hochschulzugangsberechtigung”) for a course of study at Goethe University, please refer to the database anabin for an overview.

>> Anabin (database on the recognition of foreign educational qualifications in Germany)

You can select your country of origin, your school or previous university, and your qualification or previous course of study to find out if you are qualified to apply directly for a course of study in Germany.

>> Apply directly for a course of study

Applicants whose previous level of education and certificates do not qualify them to apply directly for a course of study in Germany, but who rather have to go through indirect application processes, must complete an assessment to determine whether they are ready to begin studies in Germany (“Feststellungsprüfung” or university assessment test). The International Study Centre in the “Studienkolleg” (preparatory college) offers courses to prepare applicants for this “Feststellungsprüfung” that end with the assessment itself.

"Studienkolleg" and "Feststellungsprüfung"

The "Studienkolleg" (preparatory college) of the Goethe University’s International Study Centre ("Internationales Studienzentrum") is here to prepare you for studying at Goethe University. A variety of courses to prepare for the "Feststellungsprüfung" (university assessment test) run over the course of two semesters. In completing the assessment at the end of the course you are granted a subject-specific entrance qualification that allows you to apply for a place at a German university.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Studienkolleg

X grafik fragezeichen

When and how do I apply to the Studienkolleg?

You must apply before the given deadline by submitting all the necessary documents via uni-assist for the specific course of study you wish to pursue and the Studienkolleg you wish to attend. If your application was completed fully in time and in compliance with requirements, then you can expect an invitation from the International Office to take the entrance examination for the Studienkolleg, in May for the summer semester and in September for the winter semester. Please be aware that there are usually more applications than places at the Studienkolleg. Candidates for Studienkollegs are therefore selected based on how well they do in the entrance exam. If more people successfully complete the entrance exam than the Studienkolleg can accommodate, then places are awarded in order of how many total points were achieved in the entrance exam, from most to least.

What happens if I am unable to take the entrance exam or if I take it but fail?

If this happens then you can apply again for the next semester. You can ask the International Office or the administration of the Studienkolleg to take over your application ("Übernahme") to the next semester.

What does a "Übernahme" (takeover) of my application entail?

In taking over your application, the administration enters it into the selection process for the next Studienkolleg semester in case your current application is unsuccessful. If you wish to submit your application to be “taken over”, then you must do so within a given time frame, analogous to the application deadline itself.

A submission form for a takeover of your application is available at the International Office or in the admissions office of the Studienkolleg.

You can also email:

If you miss the deadline for submitting your application to be taken over, you must apply again via uni-assist and pay the administration fee again.

If you are unable to get a place at the Studienkolleg of Goethe University Frankfurt am Main then we recommend applying to a variety of other Studienkollegs or other universities in order to increase your chances of securing a place. Taking a language course is also advisable.

It is still possible to arrange a takeover of your application even if your subject-specific university application has been declined. There are also deadlines in this situation, though.

For further information please direct your queries to

How long does a course at a Studienkolleg usually last?

A course at a Studienkolleg will usually last one year (two semesters) with an average of 30 hours per week.

Am I required to attend lessons regularly?

If you are enrolled in a Studienkolleg, you are required to attend lessons and take part in regular written and oral assessments throughout the course. At the end of the course you will take the “Feststellungsprüfung” (university assessment test).

Can I work while attending a Studienkolleg?

During your first year of residence as a student in Germany you are only permitted to work during the semester break. After this, you are allowed, as a student with a student visa, to work for 120 full days or 240 half days per year.
Further information is available on these pages: >> Working a student job