Current issues & deadlines
Before you apply
- Undergraduate studies
- Master & international programmes
- uni-assist exceptions & special procedures
Once you have applied
Application process for undergraduate studies (Bachelor & state examination)
International students that got their university entrance qualification (“Hochschulzugangsberechtigung”) outside Germany (and not at a school with a German Abitur) usually complete their application to study at Goethe University via uni-assist, a service provider who carries out the preliminary check of international university applications. Uni-assist processes international applications and forwards the electronic application data to Goethe University.
Attention: Please note that there are exceptions to the uni-assist procedure for certain groups of applicants or subjects. Please make sure whether you have to follow a special procedure.
Concerning applications: Even if you have yet to complete the DSH preparatory course or attend the Studienkolleg, you apply for your chosen course of study via uni-assist. You will then initially only receive an invitation to the placement test for the DSH preparatory course or the Studienkolleg.
University entrance qualifications (“Hochschulzugangsberechtigungen”) are, for example, Abitur, A-levels, High School Diploma, Baccalaureat, Lise Diploması and others. Uni-assist processes applications for study courses, DSH preparatory courses and the Studienkolleg at Goethe University Frankfurt.
- First you must apply online.
- Please register on the uni-assist online portal.
- Fill in your application request.
- Submit your request electronically, together with the appropriate uploaded documents, to uni-assist.
- Pay the application fee of 75 Euro for your first desired course of study and of 30 Euro for each additional desired course of study. Please find out more about the payment options here.
- Send certified and if necessary translated copies of your education and language certificates to uni-assist by post.
- If you have provided all necessary documentation and fulfil the application requirements, then your information is passed on to Goethe University, usually within 4-6 weeks.
Please send your application to:
c/o uni-assist e.V.
You will need the following documents for your application via uni-assist:
- Graduation certificate or school leaving certificate with an overview of subjects taken and marks achieved, together with all other documents that grant you entry to higher education systems in your home country (all complete with a translation by a certified translator into either German or English).
- APS-certificate. Applicants from Vietnam and the People’s Republic of China need to submit a original copy of the APS-certificate of academic screening issued by the Academic Evaluation Centre ("Akademische Prüfstelle – APS").
>> Further information
- Proof of your knowledge of German – certified as B1 at least.
- Copy of your valid passport (only the page that contains your personal data).
- If necessary a receipt of payment
- If necessary TestAS (Test for Academic Studies): For Non-Eu applicants in the field of medicine/dentistry, the results of the TestAS is weighed at 49% for the admissions decision.
- Confirmation of participation in the OSA (online self assessment) if you apply for one of the following subjects: Biophysik BSc, Biowissenschaften BSc, Ethnologie BA HF/NF, Germanistik BA HF/NF, Islamische Studien BA, Meteorologie BSc, Psychologie BSc (to be submitted at the enrolment by the latest). You'll gather an insight in the study subject and its contents. At the end of the OSA you'll receive a confirmation of participation. Please submit this confirmation along with your further application documents.
Notes concerning application documents:
- All the documents you submit in your application must be presented with legal certification. Exception: the copy of your passport, the receipt of your payment and the OSA confirmation. TestDaF and IELTS can be verified online by uni-assist. A simple copy of your certificate is sufficient in this case. >> Formal requirements
- Please never send original certificates and please also make sure that all your necessary forms and documents are included and complete!
- For the Studienkolleg and the DSH preparatory course:
15th October for the summer semester and 15th April for the winter semester
- For applicants with direct university entrance qualification (“Hochschulzugangsberechtigung”):
15th January for the summer semester and 15th July for the winter semester
For free-admission programs: 28th February for the summer semester and 31st of August for the winter semester
- Please note: By the application deadline, all of your completed forms and documents must have been received by uni-assist. We therefore strongly recommend you submit your documents early – six weeks before the deadline – so that there is some extra time in case clarification is necessary, or in case something is missing from your application.
- Exceptions for medicine/dentistry: Deadline is 15th July for non-EU applicants via uni-assist; registration for the internal TestAS at Goethe University by 24th June at the latest >>Admission Procedure (for Non-EU applicants). For EU applicants, the deadline is 15th July via hochschulstart. For EU applicants with a university entrance qualification from a previous year, the deadline is 31st May.
Exceptions to the uni-assist procedure:
- Visiting or exchange students
- International applicants with foreign certificates and a certificate of recognition
>> apply online via Goethe University
- International applicants that have completed the Abitur in Germany (or at a German school abroad)
>> apply online via Goethe University
- Applications from EU-residents wishing to study medicine, dentistry or pharmacy are processed via hochschulstart.
- Applications for postgraduate programmes for graduated lawyers.
- Applications for Master’s programmes
- Doctoral studies
- Applicants for undergraduate studies in Psychologie (Psychology), Biowissenschaften (Biosciences), Wirtschaftswissenschaften (Economics) or Rechtswissenschaften (Law) register with hochschulstart and then submit their application through uni-assist: DoSV (special procedure)
Applying to multiple universities/institutes of higher education
You want to apply to multiple universities simultaneously? Please first check whether the other institutes you wish to apply to also require application via uni-assist. You can find an up-to-date list of all institutes that use uni-assist here.
Please fill in a separate application form on the uni-assist online portal for every institute you apply to. It is sufficient, however, to have only one copy of the documents needed for your applications.
PLEASE NOTE: Depending on the different universities you apply to and the subjects you apply for, you may need to provide different documents! Applications for universities that do not operate through uni-assist must be sent directly to the universities. Please find information regarding the documentation they require on their respective websites.
For further questions regarding university entrance qualifications or documents needed for applications please turn to the Application Advisory Service of the International Office.
Applying above entry level
Please note that if you are already enrolled in the same study program at a German university at the time of application, you are only eligible to apply for the next higher semester. If you have studied abroad or if you are no longer enrolled, you can apply for both the first and a higher semester.
Application above entry level is also processed by uni-assist.
It is important that, if you want to apply above entry level, you also provide a notice of recognition of the examination office in charge of the relevant faculty or department, at the latest by the application deadline.
Please be furthermore advised that once you have been admitted to the first semester, it is not possible to be then moved to a higher semester.
Please contact the subject-specific guidance service ("Fachstudienberatung") of the relevant faculty and the "Studierendensekretariat" (student registration office). They will provide further information about applying above entry level.
Please find below links to the examinations offices, to information by the Study Service Center and for the application procedures of medicine, 'Lehramt' and 'Wirtschaftswissenschaften' resp. 'Wirtschaftspädagogik'.