Senior policy professionals in the public sector and civil society as well as journalists are facing a plethora of complex challenges. The Mercator Science-Policy Fellowship-Programme is a demand-driven and tailor-made programme for senior policy professionals and journalists, which is unique to Germany.
The programme acquaints senior policy professionals and journalists with state-of-the-art research on the issues they are working on. The programme is funded by the Stiftung Mercator and administered by the strategic alliance of the Rhine-Main Universities. It offers networking opportunities for academics, senior journalists, and senior policy professionals from the public sector and civil society. Based on the thematic interests of the fellows, the Rhine-Main Universities organise face-to-face meetings with accomplished scholars in order to discuss timely questions.
Fellows will spend a total of five days at the Rhine-Main Universities throughout the year. The duration of each stay at the Rhine-Main-Universities is about 2.5 days. For each stay we will arrange some eight face-to-face meetings with scientists for every fellow.
Zeichnung: Designstudio Mathilda Mutant
Who is the Programme for?
The programme aims at senior policy professionals from the public sector and civil society as well as senior journalists.
What does the Mercator Science-Policy Fellowship-Programme offer?
- A tailor-made programme of face-to-face meetings with scholars from the Rhine-Main Universities
- Opportunities to expand personal networks by liaising with accomplished scholars, senior policy professionals, and journalists
- New perspectives on salient topics at the intersection of academic research, public policy, and media
- Access to the academic community of the Rhine-Main Universities as a visiting scholar
- Membership in the Rhine-Main Universities’ alumni association as a »Science Policy Partner of Preference«
How is the Science-Policy Fellowship-Programme structured?
- Annual call for applications for 20 fellowships with the duration of one academic year
- A total attendance of at least five days at the Rhine-Main Universities, including joint stays of all fellows in autumn and spring (please check the call for applications for the respective dates)
- The programme is free of charge (fellows’ employers are expected to release the fellows from their duties during their stay at the Rhine-Main Universities and to cover their travel expenses)
- We welcome applications from international candidates. Potential fellows are expected to have at least basic proficiency of the German language
How can I apply?
The application package consists of:
- The completed application form including a letter of motivation available here
- A curriculum vitae
- A letter of recommendation from a senior supervisor of the sending organisation
Applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com by May 7, 2018.
If you have any further questions regarding the programme, please do not hesitate to contact the Mercator Science-Policy Fellowship-Programme office.
For further information please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is this programme for? Am I eligible to apply?
- How do I apply?
- What do I have to consider when listing my thematic interests or research questions on the application form?
- How can I get an overview on the research the Rhine-Main-Universities
- How much time am I going to spend at the Rhine-Main-Universities?
- How is the fellowship programme structured? Do I have to speak to German?
- What are the costs?
- How are the fellows selected? How competitive is the programme?
- What is special about the Mercator Science-Policy Fellowship-Programme?
- How is the programme funded? Which institutions are involved? Why is the programme located in the Frankfurt/Rhine-Main area?