- Prof. Dr. Rolf van Dick (Chair of Social Psychology)
- Deputy Head of Department
- Office Administration
- Research Assistants and Lecturers
- Associated & former Members
- Student assistants
Professor S. Alex Haslam
Professor S. Alex Haslam
Professor of Psychology and ARC Laureate Fellow
University of Queensland
- 1985 M.A. Hons (first class), Psychology University of St Andrews
- 1991 PhD, Psychology Macquarie University (PhD title:Social Comparative Context, Self-Categorization and Stereotyping)
- Supervisor: J. C. Turner
Professional Activities - Previous positions:
- 2/1990 – 2/1991 Lecturer, Department of Behavioural Science, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Sydney
- 3/1991 – 2/2001 Research Officer, Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader, School of Psychology, The Australian National University
- 3/2001 – 2012 Professor, School of Psychology, University of Exeter
- 8/2012 – present Professor and ARC Laureate Fellow, School of Psychology, University of Queensland
Main Research Areas:
- Psychology in organizations — with an emphasis on the contribution of groups and group membership to leadership, motivation, creativity, communication, decision-making, and productivity.
- The social psychology of stereotyping, prejudice, and tyranny — exploring the role of social identity and self-categorization in shaping the dynamics of intergroup relations and conflict.
- Social processes in health and well-being — looking at the contribution of group life to stress, depression, and resistance in vulnerable populations.
- Research methodology — focusing on issues of research design, ethics, and uncertainty management.
- Oakes, P. J., Haslam, S. A., & Turner, J. C. (1994). Stereotyping and social reality. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Haslam, S. A., & McGarty, C. (1998). Doing psychology: An introduction to research methodology and statistics. London and Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Haslam, S. A. (2001; 2nd ed. 2004). Psychology in organizations: The social identity approach. London and Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Haslam, S. A., Reicher, S. D. & Platow, M. J. (2011). The new psychology of leadership: Identity, influence and power. New York and Hove: Psychology Press.
- Haslam, S. A., & McGarty, C. (2014). Research methods and statistics in psychology (2nd Ed.) London and Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Spears, R., Oakes, P. J., Ellemers, N., & Haslam, S. A. (Eds.) (1997). The social psychology of stereotyping and group life. Oxford, UK and Cambridge, MA: Blackwell.
- McGarty, C., & Haslam, S. A. (Eds.) (1997). The message of social psychology: Perspectives on mind in society. Oxford, UK and Cambridge, MA: Blackwell.
- Haslam, S. A., van Knippenberg, D., Platow, M., & Ellemers, N. (Eds.) (2003). Social identity at work: Developing theory for organizational practice. New York and Hove: Psychology Press.
- Jetten, J., Haslam, C., & Haslam, S. A. (Eds.) (2012). The social cure: Identity, health and well-being. New York and Hove: Psychology Press.
- Smith, J. R., & Haslam, S. A. (Eds.) (2012). Social psychology: Revisiting the classic studies. London and Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.