Proof of Language Competence
If you want to study American Studies, English Studies (as a major subject or as a minor subject) or choose English in your teaching degree (L1, L2, L3 oder L5) at the Goethe University Frankfurt, you need proof of language competence that is accepted by the Institut für England- und Amerikastudien (IEAS) in addition to your higher education entrance qualification. This is to certify that your English language skills meet the B2 level as defined in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). The CEFR is a general guideline that describes foreign language proficiency, which is used in Europe.
Such an accepted proof of language skills is part of the application for university and should not be older than two years. It can be provided by:
- taking and passing the entrance test (see below)
- an average of at least 11 points the German Abitur (higher education entrance qualitication)
- one of the following language certificates: TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge First, the Certificate of Advanced English or the Certificate of Proficiency in English (the Satzung defines the required minimum number of points)
Proof of language skills need to be submitted in the following ways:
- after successful completion of the entrance test participants will automatically receive a certificate that has to be submitted to the Studierendensekretariat (registrar’s office) with the application
- the Abitur (certificate of your higher education entrance qualification) as proof of language skills needs to be approved by the IEAS before applying
- language certificates need to be officially approved by the IEAS, so please hand in a copy of the certificate to the IEAS before applying
Applicants need to be proficient in another foreign language – proficiency in German is required as well. Applicants with a foreign higher education entrance qualification need to prove their advanced language level with the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH). The language proficiency test should be passed at the DSH-2 level at least. Please consult the international office for information on other requirements for international applicants!
All students applying for a Bachelor or teaching degree who cannot provide a German Abitur or a language certificate which fulfills the above mentioned requirements have to take the written entrance test. All incoming students who want to take the test need to sign up for one of the two test sittings. Each student is allowed to take the entrance test once per semester. The next dates for the entrance test are:
- Friday, June 9, 2017 at 12:00 p.m. – noon – (Sitting 1)
- Friday, June 9, 2017 at 3:00 p.m. (Sitting 2)
Both sittings will take place at the Jügelhaus (Mertonstr. 17-21, 60325 Frankfurt) in lecture hall H IV (roman 4).
Students wishing to take this test need to sign up for one of the sittings using the online form (in German only):
You need to enter the required data and choose one of the sittings by using the drop-down menu. After checking the entries again, you should click on the "Anmelden" button. It is not possible to make any changes afterwards. You will not receive a confirmation email.
At the test sitting, photo identification must be presented prior to admission to the test.
Sample test items for both the reading comprehension section (RC) and the grammar section can be downloaded:
Students can self-assess their own level of English via the Internet with Dialang. Dialang is a free language assessment system that gives you feedback on the strengths and weaknesses in your foreign language proficiency. In addition, it provides general advice and information on language learning.