International Research and Research Networks
A focus of the Faculty of Biological Sciences is the investigation of long and short-term adaptation of organisms to their environment. In this context, the complete spectrum of biodiversity from microbes up to higher eukaryotes is at the focus of the investigations. In this case, the Faculty can profit from its excellent organismic and molecular competences, which are based on a long tradition in Frankfurt.
In 2008, biodiversity research manifested itself successfully in the establishment of the Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre (BiKF). Research on biochemical, cellular and neurobiological problem complexes is oriented toward current focuses. Several work groups participate in the Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 902 “Molecular Mechanisms of RNA-based Regulation” as well as in SFB 807 “Transport and Communication across Biological Membranes” which were approved in 2011. Seven work groups belong to the Excellence Cluster “Macromolecular complexes”, which is funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG); others are associated with it.
- Biodiversity and Climate Research Centres (BiKF)
- SFB 902 - Molecular Mechanisms of RNA-based Regulation
- SFB 834 - Endothelial Signaling and Vascular Repair
- SFB 807 Transport and Communication across biological Membranes
- Excellence Cluster Macromolecular Complexes
- Interdisciplinary Center for Neuroscience (ICNF)
- Centre for Interdisciplinary Africa Research (ZIAF)
- Main Research Focus DynaMem
The cooperation in these outstanding research associations strengthens the profile of the Faculty in cell biology and neuroscience as well as in the molecular biosciences. In addition to the above-mentioned research partners, further important cooperation partners of the Faculty of Biological Sciences in Research and teaching are the following:
- Max Planck Institute for Brain Research or
- Max Planck Institute for Biophysics,
- the Chemotherapeutic Research Institute Georg-Speyer-Haus,
- the Paul Ehrlich Institut, Federal Institute for Vaccines and Biomedical Pharmaceuticals,
- the Senckenberg Research Institute and Nature Museum in Frankfurt.