Who can apply?
Your institute of higher education or scholarship organization needs to officially nominate you as a guest student at the University of Frankfurt before the following deadlines for nomination:
- 15 November; beginning of planned study period: summer term
- 15 May; beginning of planned study period: winter term.
Once the application procedure has started, the link to the online application form will be sent directly to students who have been nominated by the home university. The application procedure starts:
- approx. April: application for the winter term
- approx. beginning of November: application for the summer term.
The link to the online application form will be sent out to all students, once the application procedure has started.
That means, that even if your home university or scholarship organization has sent us your nominatin long before May, the link to the online application form, will only be sent to you approx. in April, if you have been nominated for the winter term. Likewise, the link will be sent to you approx. in November, if you have been nominated for the summer term, even if your home university or scholarship organization has already sent us your nomination long before November.
Please keep in mind the deadlines for application. Applications submitted after the deadlines will not be accepted.
Information regarding Learning Agreements can be found here. Please direct all questions regarding subject matter, e.g.:
- class schedule, content Learning Agreement
- ECTS-/Credit Points,
- registration for classes/exams, etc.
Scholarship holder (e.g. DAAD) (non-degree-seeking students only)
- Please send us via e-mail a scanned copy of your letter of award by deadline for nomination (15 May (application winter term) or 15 November (application summer term).
- Then, we will send you the link to our online application form for scholarship holders.
Only complete applications submitted via post within the application deadline can be accepted. Scanned copies will not be accepted.
Students from non-partner institutions can apply as a Freemover guest student. In order to apply as a Freemover guest student you need an academic supervisor at Goethe University. Please contact the respective faculty directly, in order to find an academic supervisor. Contact details of all faculties can be found through the university homepage.
- The link to the Freemover online application form for the winter semester 2017/2018 is available here starting in April/ May 2017. The document needs to be signed by you, the International Office of your home university, as well as by your academic supervisor at Goethe University. By signing the application form your academic supervisor also confirms that your language skills are appropriate for the course of study under his/her academic supervision. After signing the document your academic supervisor might send the form directly to the International Office.
Please send us the following additional documents via post:
- A confirmation of enrollment from your home university.
The document attests your current enrollment as a student at your home university.
The confirmation of enrollment can be handed in, in the following languages:
German, English, French or Italian.
If the confirmation can only be issued in the language of your home country, and it is not written in one of the languages listed above, you need to provide an official (=notarized) translation of the document.
- An official transcript from your home university (=official list of grades current studies, or certificate of completion/degree certificate, if a degree has already been attained).
The transcript can be handed in, in the following languages:
German or English.
If the transcript can only be issued in the language of your home country, and it is not written in one of the languages listed above, you need to provide an official (=notarized) translation of the document.
- A letter of motivation by yourself (about one page, type written), in German or English.
Only complete applications submitted within the application deadline can be accepted.
ERASMUS Student Mobility (Internship)/ERASMUS Placement
If you would like to do an internship in one of the faculties of Goethe University, please get directly in contact with the respective faculty, in order to find out whether an internship is possible. Contact details of all faculties can be found on the website of the university.
The necessary training agreement needs to be signed by your advisor/supervisor in the respective faculty of Goethe University.
If you are accepted as an intern in one of the faculties of Goethe University, you may apply as a Freemover guest student (see above), in order to be enrolled as a guest student during your internship at Goethe University.
However, unfortunately, it is not possible to customize enrollment dates and periods according to your ERASMUS placement schedule, the following enrollment periods are standard and cannot be adapted individually:
- Enrollment is only possible for the entire duration of the semester (=October until March or April until September).
- Enrollment for only part of a semester (e.g. summer internship: June until August) is impossible.
- Also it not possible to be registered in between semesters (e.g. from February until June).
- In order to be enrolled as a guest student, during your internship in one of the faculties of Goethe University, you need to have handed in your application as a Freemover guest student before deadline.
Teaching Assistants (e.g. Fulbright, PAD)
- Please send us via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) a scanned copy of your letter of award and the confirmation/contract which attests your placement as a teaching assistant (usually combined in the document: Stipendienvertrag und Schulzuweisung
- Then, we will send you the link to our online application form for scholarship holders.
- Please mind the deadline for application as a guest student.
German Language Requirements
The language of instruction at Goethe University in Frankfurt is German. A sound working knowledge of the German language is required. Goethe University in Frankfurt will make the assumption that your institute of higher education has already tested your knowledge of German. Thus, we have waived the German language requirement (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang or DSH) that is normally required for studying at an Institute of Higher Learning in Germany.
By signing your application form your home university, (i.e. responsible person at the International Office or the faculty), confirms that they have tested your German skills and that they are appropriate for your course of study at Goethe University (usually at least B1 necessary – applicable to German taught programs).
If you do not meet the German language pre-requisite (B1), you need to contact the respective faculty at Goethe University directly, in order to enquire whether you may be admitted into courses. This may be possible, e.g. in faculties offering a large number of courses in English. In that case, please provide written confirmation, (e-mail of responsible person at the respective faculty of Goethe University is sufficient), together with you exchange student application, in order for the International Office to be informed that the German language requirement has been waived for you by the faculty. Please note that in some faculties the entire syllabus is in German.
Courses Held in English
English courses can be found easily by going to qis.server.uni-frankfurt.de, switching the language to English, choosing "Lectures", "Search for Lectures," and changing "Language of instruction" to "English." Here you can find a list for the current semester.
German as a foreign language courses for exchange students
Every year in March/September, the International Office together with the Internationales Studien- und Sprachenzentrum (ISZ) offers an all-day German intensive language course (DIA) for visiting students which is free of charge. It is designed for students, who already have a basic knowledge of German (at least a B1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). If you want to enroll in the DIA-course, you can do so on the online application form. Before the course starts, there will be a placement test. All necessary information about the German intensive language course will be sent to you together with the letter of admission.
Admissions letter (guest students)
After your application for admission has been processed, you will receive an admissions letter (Zulassungsbescheid) from us. In the admissions letter, you will find all necessary information regarding enrolment for guest students (time and place of the enrolment, account information for transfer of semester social fee). The admissions letter will be sent by post to your home address entered by you under personal details in the application work-flow. You will receive the admissions letter for guest students:
- In August (application for winter term),
- in February (application for summer term).
Once the admissions letter has been sent, the work flow of your personal account will show a green check mark: “Letter of admission sent by the International Office.”
Students, who need to apply for visa, might need the admissions letter before February/August. Please contact email@example.com, in order to ask for a preliminary letter of admission. Of course the preliminary letter can only be issued, once we have received your complete application.