04 Educational Sciences (German)
07 Roman Catholic Theology (German)
Faculty Websites in English
The Faculty of Law at Goethe University currently has 34 professorships and 4,724 students, making it one of the larger faculties of law in Germany.
- LL.M. Finance
- LL.M. International Finance
- LL.M. Legal Theory
- Doctorate / Ph.D. Program in Law and Economics
Over 60 professors, assistant professors and senior professors currently work and teach at Goethe University’s Faculty of Economics and Business Administration. Our 5,000 students benefit from our numerous collaborative partnerships with business and industry that enrich the range of lectures and seminars on offer.
The Faculty of Social Sciences at Goethe University has a long tradition and is one of the largest and most productive social science institutions in Germany.
Faculty 04 | Educational Sciences
The Faculty encompasses five scientific units: the Institute of General Educational Science, the Institute of Elementary and Primary Level Education, the Institute of Secondary Education, the Institute of Special Education, and the Institute of Social Pedagogy and Adult Education.
The Faculty is made up of the Institute of Psychology on Westend Campus and the Institute of Sports Sciences and the University Sports Centre on Ginnheim Campus. The Institute of Psychology and Sport Sciences were combined to one faculty in 2001 and together have about 20 professorships as well as additional cooperation professorships.
The Faculty of Protestant Theology is a place of dialogue and critical thinking which makes a scientific contribution to understanding the real world and shaping a just and supportive community through dedicated research and teaching in the tradition of Frankfurt’s citizens’ university.
Faculty 07 | Roman Catholic Theology
Catholic Theology at Goethe University – this means researching, teaching, studying and entering into dialogue about God, human beings, and the world, staying as committed to science and tradition as to human beings and a realistic view of the present with its many opportunities and challenges.
Research and Projects
The Faculty comprises four institutes and departments. These are the Institute of Philosophy with nine professors, the Department of History (including Ancient History) with a total of 11 professors, the Department of History Didactics with one professor and the Institute of Ethnology with five professors.
Faculty 09 | Linguistics, Cultures and Arts
With 40 professorships, the Faculty of Linguistics, Cultures and Arts is one of the largest at the university. There are 11 institutes with a total of 17 departments and subjects. During the Faculty’s fifteen plus years of existence, the departments have developed a lively common identity.
INSTITUTE FOR EMPIRICAL LINGUISTICS
INSTITUTE FOR EAST ASIAN PHILOLOGIES
INSTITUTE OF JEWISH STUDIES
With approximately 5,500 students, the Faculty of Modern Languages is one of the larger faculties at Goethe University. The faculty’s nine institutes offer 8 bachelor and master degree programmes, 16 master programmes, the subjects German, English, French, Italian and Spanish for teaching degrees, and the continuing education programme Book and Media Practice.
The Institutes of the Faculty of Geosciences and Geography offer a wide variety of study programmes for both bachelor and master students. The main research areas of our departments are the structure and the dynamics of Earth’s interior and surface. A close look at the history of our planet, a global view of the evolution of landscapes and life forms, and the analysis of habitats comprise essential parts of our scientific and educational work.
INSTITUTE FOR PALEONTOLOGY
- Emmy-Noether research group Meso- and Cenozoic Paleoceanography
- Paleontology and Biochemistry
- Labor Stabile Isotopes
INSTITUTE FOR ATMOSPHERIC AND ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES
- Experimental atmospheric research
- Mesoscale Meteology and Climate
- Theory of Atmospheric Dynamics and Climate
INSTITUTE OF HUMAN GEOGRAPHY
INSTITUTE OF PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY
As modern cross-sectional sciences, computer sciences and mathematics relate in diverse ways to other fields and faculties, to business and other scientific organisations: for us, theory, practice and application are a unified whole – the challenges we seek to tackle are critical analysis on the one hand and creative development on the other.
Currently about 1,610 students are enrolled at the department of physics at Goethe University Frankfurt. The department offers two accredited bachelor and master courses in physics and biophysics. In addition, lectures and practical courses are offered for the teaching degree programme as well as for students of the natural sciences and medical students.
At the Faculty of Biochemistry, Chemistry and Pharmacy, 33 professors are involved in research and teaching. They are supported by 215 permanent members of staff and teach more than 1,300 undergraduate and 300 graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in three different disciplines: Pharmacy, Chemistry and Biochemistry.
The Faculty of Biological Sciences consists of the Institutes of Ecology, Evolution and Diversity (Institute 1), Cell Biology and Neuroscience (Institute 2), Molecular Biological Sciences (Institute 3) and the Department of Bioscience Education. All in all, there are 38 Professors, which makes it one of the largest biological science faculties in Germany.
Our particular research focus is ecology and biodiversity, cell- and neurobiology, molecular biology and biotechnology.
INSTITUTE FOR ECOLOGY, EVOLUTION AND DIVERSITY
- LOEWE Centre BiK-F Biodiversity and Climate
- Aquatic Ecotoxicology (Prof. Oehlmann)
- Diversity, Evolution and Phylogeny of Higher Plants (Prof. Zizka)
- Integrative Parasitology and Zoophysiology (IPZ) (Prof. Klimpel)
- Molecular Ecology (Prof. Pfenninger)
- Ecology and Evolution (PD Klaus)
- Ecology and Geobotany
- Plant Ecophysiology (Prof. Brüggemann)
INSTITUTE FOR CELL BIOLOGY AND NEURO SCIENCE
- Molecular and Cellular Neurobiology (Acker-Palmer Group)
- Zoo Biology (Prof. Dierkes)
- Applied Bioinformatics (Ebersberger)
- Bee Research Institute (Grünewald)
- Neurobiology and Biosensors (Kössl)
- Physical Biology (Starzinski-Powitz/Stelzer)
- Regulation in Higher Eurkaryotes (Müller-McNicoll)
INSTITUTE FOR MOLECULAR BIO SCIENCE
- The Molecular Scent Lab (Splivallo)
- Biology and Genetics of Procaryotes (Prof. Soppa)
- Molecular Biotechnology (Prof. Bode), VAAM-Workshop
- Molecular Developmental Biology (Prof. Osiewacz)
- Molecular Microbiology and Bioenergetics (Prof. Müller/Prof. Averhoff)
- Molecular Cell Biology of Plants (Prof. Schleiff)
- Plant Cell Physiology (Prof. Büchel)
- Physiology and Genetics of Lower Eukaryotes (Boles)
- Structural Biology (Prof. Wöhnert)
The Faculty of Medical Science at Goethe University has gone to great lengths in recent years to achieve a top position in research and teaching. The faculty has gained an international reputation in its main areas of research, particularly in the fields of cardiovascular medicine and neurosciences.
- Master of Science (MSc) in Oral Implantology
- Master of Science (MSc) in Molecular Medicine
- "Excellence Cluster Cardio-Pulmonary System"
- LOEWE Center for Cell and Gene Therapy Frankfurt
- LOEWE Center for Translational Medicine and Pharmacology
- Collaborative Research Centre (DFG) "Redox Regulation: Generationsystems and Functional Consequences"
- Collaborative Research Centre (DFG) "Endothelial Signalling and Vascular Repair"
- Collaborative Research Centre (DFG) "Signalling by Fatty Acid Derivatives and Sphingolipids in Health and Disease"